The benefits of summer reading programs are well documented. In fact, summer reading programs have been around for more than a century, and they continue on because of their great benefits. There are many shapes and sizes of summer reading programs, from online reading and answering questions to reading library books, to 4-hour per day programs, to online-delivery family participation programs that build family time fun activities into the program.
The 6 Benefits of Summer Reading Programs
- Improve Reading Skills: Phonics, Fluency, Spelling, Comprehension, Vocabulary
- Increase Desire to Read
- Improve Self-Esteem
- Neutralize Summer Learning Loss
- Improve Comprehension
- Improve Memory Skills
Research shows us that summer reading programs really do improve kids’ reading skills and increase their desire to read. Additionally, according to the School Library Journal, those who participate not only mitigate any summer learning loss, but they even show gains. Most kids enrolled in summer reading programs develop an interest in reading, improve their comprehension, and further develop their memory skills. Reading content material even becomes more interesting.
What Should Be Included When Looking for the Best Benefits of Summer Reading Program?
Are the five principles of reading included?
- Phonemic Awareness
Is there flexibility in the Summer Reading Program?
- Are you tied to specific times of day, or can you work the summer reading program on your time frame?
- Do you need to travel to the program?
- Does the program offer a variety of reading activities including games or is it just reading and answering questions?
- Is the program labor intensive?
Is the program based on your child’s reading level or on their grade level?
- If your child is above grade level, can you start them there, or do they need to do their grade level activities?
- If your child is below grade level or way below grade level, can you start them at their current level and level up from there?
Bonnie Terry’s Summer Reading Program allows kids to be kids and gives them the foundational skills in a holistic approach. This online-delivered program is one where families work together and play together as they improve their reading skills not just in school, but in life.